The Parochial and Home Guard Snooker Club run a series of competitions throughout the year and these are open to all playing members. Information about each competition, some of which are handicap events, is given below. Entry to each competition usually costs £1 which covers the cost of trophies which are given to winners and runners-up
The Cameron Spring Competition
This is the first competition of the year and named after the very first President of the snooker club, J.W. Cameron (1942-43)
This is a straight handicap competition. Members who have entered should contact their opponents and arrange a suitable time to play.
Each game is played over one frame, the winner moving into the next round. The eventual winner’s name will be added to the Club “Honours” board.
The poster showing the full draw should then be updated so that the next round of games can be organised.
The Ray Hudson Scratch Competition
Named after a stalwart of the club for the last 40 years, Ray Hudson (President 2001-02), this is the only club competition played as best of three frames
- Members organise the times of their matches themselves but are recommended to select nights when the club is perhaps not as busy (currently Monday and Tuesday)
- Best of 3 frames so this is your chance to play in a competition over more than one frame.
- No handicap applied.
- Winner’s name on the Club’s finest trophy and Individual trophy awarded. The winner’s name is added to the “Honours Board”
- Winner’s handicap reduced by 5 points
No, not a competition for animal healers but for club veterans, or members over the age of 55
This is a straight handicap competition. Members who have entered should contact their opponents and arrange a suitable time to play. Each game is played over one frame, the winner moving into the next round. The poster should then be updated so that the next round of games can be organised.
Winner’s name on the Club’s finest trophy and Individual trophy awarded. The winner’s name is added to the Club “Honours Board”
Winner’s handicap reduced by 5 points
Another competition named after one of our beloved former members, Harry Penfold (President 1969 – 70). Harry Penfold who died in 1990, was the last original member of the club. He was one of the Local Defence Volunteers (LDV). More than 100 men had volunteered their service in 1940, all of whom were under or over military age. In his will Harry left £250 to sponsor this Doubles Handicap Competition to be played on one night with Prize money of £50 for the winners on condition that they buy a drink from this for all present at the Final, and can keep the remainder. (Fund now topped up by Club)
- It’s a Pairs Game…. We can find you a partner if necessary.
- Played with ½ Combined Handicap….. e.g. If you & your partner are h/cap 35 & 45 =80….. you start off 40pts.
- £50 Prize money… Individual Trophy… name on Club “Honours Board”
- Often won by High Handicappers. Winners lose 3pts off Handicap
The President’s Trophy
The President’s Trophy is a handicap competition that is run throughout Summer and Autumn with the final always held on the night of the Annual General Meeting – the last Thursday in November
Starts in Summer
Tony Stone Competition
Named after our oldest current member this is a handicap competition played over one frame and open to players with a club handicap of 25 and over
A pairs competition where members select their partner.
Click here to read how handicaps are changed according to progress through competitions